 CAD / 9735
Re: Switching from BITMAP/JPEG to PNG
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 03:51:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague writes:
JPEG image format and the new callout capabilites in LPub (plus PLI background
color non-white which I just fixed) are incompatible with JPEG because when you
pack images together that are rendered with the same background color, not all
the backgrounds look *exactly* the same.

I'm going to add PNG support to LPub for building instructions and want to
eliminate JPEG and BITMAP capabilities.  This will simplify things in a *lot*
of places in LPup.  Those of us who authored books for Syngress using LPub used
bitmap format because it was loss-less.  For web publishing, JPEG is typically
used because of reduced file size.

PNG provides lossless compressed images.  Rather than having to support all
three formats bitmap, JPEG and PNG, I only want to support PNG.

Any objections?

If PNG is lossless that's fine but I'd prefer that BMP be continued to be
supported as one can then convert it in a post process step to whatever one
desires. I tend not to like to use JPG for discrete tone images like
instructions, it's much better suited to continuous tone images like
photographs, as i understand it. (arguably a POV with multiple light sources
starts to shade toward being contiuous tone)...