 CAD / 9184
Re: LDraw in the Classroom?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.edu
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:48:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steven Combs writes:
In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
Hi -
Is anyone here a teacher, and if so, do you use the LDraw tools (MLCAD, etc
included) in the classroom? What has your experience been? I'm putting
togehter something for BricksWest, and would like to know how you use the
software in class, and to what age level, etc.

As an Associate Professor within our Technology Division, I have found LEGO/
MLCAD to be a wonderful tool when introducing new students to mechanical
systems, CAD, and problem solving.  I teach a course in Collaborative Team
Skills. In this course for new students, I break the students into teams,
give them a problem
(http://faculty.ivy.tec.in.us/~scombs/robotics/examples.html) and they have
to use LEGO parts and pieces to create a solution.  They are also required
to document their solutions and I ask them to create their "working
drawings" within MLCAD.  My adult students love this stuff and I have
recruited many new AFOL!

Hi Steven -
This sounds great! I checked out your project pages, and watched the videos
from the one competition - with the robot that climbed the box. Looks like
you're doing some great stuff! I myself am not very into robotics, as it is
not my skill. (I do own a copy of Jin Sato's MIBO specially built for
demonstrations, though) I definitely see the value of the LDraw tools as
they relate to using robotics in the classroom.

Do you think you could email me with some of your observations on using the
LDraw tools in the classroom? I'd love to take those into account with my
projects. Lately I've been able to spend some time observing kids adopting
themselves to MLCAD, and I have also gotten involved in the more advanced
features MLCAD has to offer. I'm more convinced of its value after having
helped kids in Holland learn how to use it at LEGOWORLD, and would like to
continue to gather information and channel it into a project targeted at
educators of various grade levels.

Thanks!

-Tim