 CAD / 9180
Re: LDraw in the Classroom?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.edu
Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 11:24:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
Hi -
Is anyone here a teacher, and if so, do you use the LDraw tools (MLCAD, etc
included) in the classroom? What has your experience been? I'm putting
togehter something for BricksWest, and would like to know how you use the
software in class, and to what age level, etc.

Thanks!

-Tim
LDraw.org

Hi Tim,

Please note that the Syngress Powertools book is indeed designed in a way
that can be used in a classroom. Our contention (the author's) is that Lego
CAD greatly eases the initial steps in the learning curve of CAD and other
3d software. For instance, most parts have a built-in reference system (i.e.
which way is up and down), which helps the student absorb basic concepts
intuitively while working on more complex issues (i.e. part transformations).

My guess is that kids can be exposed to it (or some of the simpler builders)
fairly early on. Additionally, while CAD is delated to robotics ... it is
also related to art. At the end of the day, through the use of Lego we can
EASILY teach very modern technologies, like robotics ... but also like 3D
computer design, be it technical or artistic.

I hope it helps!