 CAD / 9047
Re: Updated Flexible Objects LDDesignPad Plugin
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 02:34:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse writes:
Strange...  I'm a bit curious why you selected ldglite for the
preview when LDDesignPad has hooks for a different set of viewer
programs.  I'd think in order to make things simpler for potential
users you'd have chosen one of the viewers already supported
by the main program.

Because LDGLite is the only program I know of with off screen rendering
capability at a speed that is acceptible.  I could have used L3P and POV-Ray
but render times vary widely for that combo.

What about LDView? You can associate viewers/editors with the LDR/DAT file
extensions, and call it by opening the file. So, it could save a file and
launch it in that program.

Off screen rendering means rendering in the background without opening
up a window.  This can be handy for things like web servers (such as
the one running the parts tracker at ldraw.org).  I'm not sure if LDView
has an offscreen rendering feature, but it would probably be a fairly
simple matter to lift the linux and/or Windows code from ldglite to
allow LDView to open up an offscreen rendering context.  That might
actually be a nifty addition to LDView.

Don