 CAD / 8762
Re: Light bricks with light?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 17:09:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Dave Schuler writes:
Very nifty!  Would that produce the light brick as a uniformly lighted
object, or would it glow from within, in the manner of a brick with a lamp
in it?

It's kinda hard to describe.  The object itself emits light.  If it's
opaque, then it just looks like it's in a well-lit area.  But if it's
transparent, the clear parts refract and reflect the light is a pretty
convincing way.

To get realistic, you could put a filament light_source object inside an
ordinary transparent object.

My thought, which was simpler (ie, less technically precise, in
deference to my lack of savvy) than yours:  could you simply inline POV-Ray
code into the dat file so that there's a light_source within the lighted
element, perhaps within the center stud4.dat in the case of a 3001.dat?  If
the element were transparent, would that allow the light_source to glow
through?

I tried this a while ago, and it didn't quite look good.  I'm not sure now
why.  It's possible I did it wrong, tho.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't the inlined light_source would be
retained in addition to the three default lights from L3P?

Yes, if you give the -ld (retain default lights) command-line option.

While we're at it, what's a good way to do glow-in-the-dark green?

You could get away with just cranking up the ambient value for the color (I
like AMB*3).  This should work even if the light level is low or the object
is in shadow.

Cheers,
- jsproat