 CAD / 8226
Re: HHEELLPPP! parts tracker messed up
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 20 Jun 2002 12:02:40 GMT

"Thomas Burger" <tburger34@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GxzxK3.7rI@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.cad, Daniel Crichton writes:
"Thomas Burger" <tburger34@aol.com> wrote in message
news:GxzMFo.9MI@lugnet.com...
i get the error: invalid linebreak. must be in DOS format. what is it
talking about?????

It sounds like you've submitted a part file that only have line feeds at • the
end of each line instead of a carriage return + line feed. DOS format • uses
CR + LF, "Unix" format is just LF. If you're using Windows then I guess
you're using a text editor that defaults to just LF tags, normally there
will be an option to save with CR + LF. If you're on another platform • then
you'll need to find out if you have a text editor to convert the LFs to • CR +
LF for you on saving.

Dan

thanks for the help dan, but i did a test, submitted a part i KNOW can go
through, it gave me the same error.   and what in god's name is a carriage
return?

Maybe the Parts Tracker is messed up then.

A carriage return character is ASCII code 13, and a line feed is ASCII code
10. This goes back to the old days with printer control codes (AFAIK). In
DOS text files all lines are terminated by ASCII 10 followed by ASCII 13,
but in Unix (and I believe Mac) text files the norm is to use just the ASCII
10 for line termination. It's possible that your browser is taking the parts
files and converting the 10 + 13 terminators into just 10s (I'm pretty sure
older Netscape browsers did this a lot), and the script on the server that
is accepting the file doesn't have any logic to automatically replace any
ASCII 10 not followed by ASCII 13 with the DOS style terminator.

Dan