 CAD / 7815
Re: LDraw.org Parts Update 2002-02 Now Available
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Apr 2002 16:15:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Crichton writes:
"Eduardo Vazquez Harte" <eduvazhar@terra.es> wrote:
Anyway what's Duplo for?
I mean aren't we big for it?
Does anyone let there 9 momths/3 years baby use Mlcad to play with the
Duplo pieces?

Oh don't think I don't like the pieces, I like them but I don't get the
idea of using Duplo. Can someone explain me the idea of it?

My 2 1/2 year old loves watching me mess with MLCad on my PC, and with the
new Duplo bricks I can start to put together some of the bigger models she
builds with the real bricks. As she gets older I can see here using MLCad to
learn how to use a computer properly (no games playing for my daughter!),
and having Duplo bricks should help her make that connection more quickly
than with the smaller LEGO that I won't let her play with.

Heh- wow!  I wasn't sure how much people would actually want these either.
My reason for wanting them is similar to Dan's- for archiving stuff made by
my kids (and a few by myself).  But there are other reasons as well.  For
large-scale construction, nothing beats Duplo for filler material.  Lego's
builders often use basic Duplo bricks in sculptures, and at least 3 members
of my train club have used various Duplo parts integrated with regular
bricks in layouts.  And I'm really stoked to be able to make instructions
for my train station so that I can toss it together quickly when I bring
Duplo to a show.

I'm hoping to get some Primo parts into the next update- there's probably
even less interest here, but I think it's still nice to have the parts
available.

--
Tony Hafner
www.hafhead.com