 CAD / 7699
  Modeling String

I would like to model some LEGO string. Has this been done before? Do people have suggestions on how to do it? The string doesn't have to be too high fidelity, just a thin (but non zero thickness) straight black line, as it will be taut between two (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

I'm working on a program that simlulates strings as braided coils and lots of splines in POV-RAY. I'm tyring to get the catenary curves right so it looks like it's tension is supporting it's weight.... Hopefully, I'll get some time to finish it next (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

(...) Well I just slapped together a primitive to simulate twisted string bits but am not all that pleased with it. The string I have in mind to model will be so tight that a straight line will be fine, no need for catenary curves (although it sure (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

(...) Perhaps we could also have parts, like the hose segments so you have a "String End" and "String section" (for want of better names). These could possibly be cylinders with a "wound" or "braided" pattern on them, the end section having 1 closed (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

(...) Nah, the .dat.* groups are for posting .DAT content and followup discussions. If you are going to post an example string element, the .dat.parts would probably be a good choice. Fredrik (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

(...) (URL) years ago i attempted at th string ends (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

Maybe you could use my rubberbelt generator and remove unneeded portions ? (www.philohome.com/r...elts.htm). The version that uses cylinder primitive could use a "braided primitive" with the same dimensions. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

(...) Thanks for that and it may come in handy. I am just doing loose string though rather than the kind with the molded studcaps. I subsequently posted a string segment that I ended up using. It's way too long to work as Rosco described (but I (...) (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Modeling String

(...) Incidentally, I have considered it. But so far I have concluded that the mathematics are too complicated for an analytical solution. And I am a bit tired of programming numerical optimalization.. Fredrik (22 years ago, 10-Apr-02, to lugnet.cad)