 CAD / 7698
Re: Unmatrix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 23:12:30 GMT

I think we covered this a while ago in the thread about the
ldraw oblique matrix.  This one has a link to some Graphics Gems
source code.

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=5384

It seems to me though that you can't really produce 3 definitive
X, Y, and Z axis rotations.  There should be several different ways
to achieve the same rotation matrix.  I haven't looked at the
Graphics Gems code, but I thought it just generated Scale, Translate,
Shear, and one overall Rotation matrix.  If you want to seperate
that into component rotations, you have to decide which axis to
rotate about first, and probably some other stuff.  A google search
for Euler Rotation Angles might turn up some more info on this.

My Lani project has a rotation matrix that takes the parameters x, y, z.
The first thing it does is determine what rotation parameters are 0.  There
are 7 cases:
x only
y only
z only
x and y
x and z
y and z
x, y, and z

This is for speed.

It then performs the math.  The cos/sin values are stored in an array,
instead of calling the functions.  This is for speed.

I tried to eliminate all of the loops for speed.  The .5 version still has
some loops for x, y, and z.  The .53 version doesn't have any loops, but I
haven't tested the math to make sure that it works.  I know .5 works.

I think I added a rotation point to the .53 version that I haven't tested,
so just stay away from the .53 version

Again, the code is at http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950/lani/

The rotation function is in the LaniTargets.java file.

--

Thanks:

James Reynolds
http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jer29950