 CAD / 7697
Re: Unmatrix
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 2002 19:53:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Trond Hasse Lie wrote:

Hello.

Hi!

I need (don't ask why) to pick the scale/rotation matrix from a dat/ldr-file
into it's XYZ-Rotation/scale values.
i.e. I need to get:
Scaling/Rotation in the X-axis
Scaling/Rotation in the Y-Axis
Scaling/Rotation in the Z-axis

I've seen a little program at Graphicgems that does this, however it's a C
program and I really don't understand much of what
the code says.

Does anyone have some psuedocode on how to do this?

I don't have any pseudocode, but I would like to see the program that
does this.  If you give me a link to the program, I'd be willing to
interpret it for you.

I think we covered this a while ago in the thread about the
ldraw oblique matrix.  This one has a link to some Graphics Gems
source code.

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=5384

It seems to me though that you can't really produce 3 definitive
X, Y, and Z axis rotations.  There should be several different ways
to achieve the same rotation matrix.  I haven't looked at the
Graphics Gems code, but I thought it just generated Scale, Translate,
Shear, and one overall Rotation matrix.  If you want to seperate
that into component rotations, you have to decide which axis to
rotate about first, and probably some other stuff.  A google search
for Euler Rotation Angles might turn up some more info on this.

Enjoy,

Don