 CAD / 7480
    Re: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open —Paul Gyugyi
   Your R/W Complexity model looks very interesting. Was there some automated tools at work to generate it? (I award bonus points when voting for good use of tools). I've often thought of doing a tool that starts with a big cube of 1x1 plates and (...) (23 years ago, 8-Mar-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open —Jacob Sparre Andersen
   (...) Yes. Do you want the source code? I will only write proper documentation if somebody votes for the model. ;-) (...) That's more or less what I have done. The problem is to automate the replacement of 1x1 plates with larger pieces in a sensible (...) (23 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open —Fredrik Glöckner
     (...) This sounds quite a bit like the subject of my major thesis. One way to go is probably to set up some kind of measure which credits the use of large pieces, and then run a Markov Chain Monte Carlo method to reach some (local) optimum. This (...) (23 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open —Jacob Sparre Andersen
     (...) I don't think I would use a Markov chain based method, but rather some efficient phase-space exploring methods similar to simulated annealing. One of my colleagues has developed a rather interesting one that he uses for protein folding. It (...) (23 years ago, 15-Mar-02, to lugnet.cad)

        Optimising piece use (Was: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open) —Jacob Sparre Andersen
   (...) I spent some time thinking about this yesterday. If we look at the problem of substituting the 1×1 plates with larger pieces as an optimisation problem, then we have to define a good "energy function" to describe the quality of various piece (...) (23 years ago, 18-Mar-02, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)

        Re: Optimising piece use (Was: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open) —Paul Gyugyi
   Cool. I like the parallel-paths-to-ground idea that you'd get with conductance and studs as resistors. I can see large 1x16 "ground plane beams being used, likewise maybe wall pieces. Another interesting aspect is surface gradients, and the use of (...) (23 years ago, 29-Mar-02, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev)