 CAD / 7553
Re: LDraw.org MOTM/SOTM voting for March is open
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:11:59 GMT

Fredrik Glöckner wrote:

Jacob Sparre Andersen <sparre@nbi.dk> writes:

That's more or less what I have done.  The problem is to automate
the replacement of 1x1 plates with larger pieces in a sensible way.

This sounds quite a bit like the subject of my major thesis.  One way
to go is probably to set up some kind of measure which credits the use
of large pieces, and then run a Markov Chain Monte Carlo method to
reach some (local) optimum.  This tast may be somewhat computer
intensitive...

I don't think I would use a Markov chain based method, but
rather some efficient phase-space exploring methods similar
to simulated annealing.  One of my colleagues has developed
a rather interesting one that he uses for protein folding.
It allows him to explore states with entropies that differ
by a factor of 10^50000 uniformly (if your jaw went through
the floor at this point, you are most likely a phycisist).
Anyway, the energy function should not only include piece
size, but also connectivity or some other measure of
structural integrity.

Jacob
--
Skåne Sjælland Linux User Group - http://www.sslug.dk/