 CAD / 64
Re: Ldlite 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 14:15:32 GMT

Paul:

A small suggestion for LDLite & its web page.  There's no info about
setting up MIME for MS Internet Explorer, so here's what I did:

Open an Explorer window (or any folder window).
Go into View | Options | File Types.
Locate the ldlite document item (if LDLite has already been run, this
file type should have been created).
Click the Edit button.
Enter "application/x-ldraw" in the Content Type (MIME) box.

Two things I don't know:

- If it's possible for LDLite to create this setting automatically
- If this is equivalent to setting the MIME type for Netscape

Steve
PS: In case you haven't been told this enough, the shading feature is
*really* great!  I like the combination of drawn edges and shading.
It's the best of both worlds for LEGO rendering.

Once upon a time, Paul Gyugyi <paul@gyugyi.com> wrote:

Well, I got around to releasing ldlite 1.0.  It's at
<http://www.gyugyi.com/l3g0/ldlite/>.  Enjoy.

Some fun things I've done:
1. I set up my web server to know that *.dat files
have a MIME type of application/x-ldraw, and then
associated those files with ldlite.  Now I can click
on a link to a .dat file and Netscape will fire up
ldlite for me.  Unfortunately this only works if
webmasters set up their server correctly. (You can
sometimes set mime types in the .httpaccess file,
I think, so you don't have to be root on the server).
The same thing could be done for email/news attachments.

2. I started working on a capturing a model.  I had open
four windows: LDAO's editor, VEC, ldlite oblique view, and
ldlite top view.  I'd change a line in the editor, save it,
and then reload the file "File/1" in the ldlite windows.
This was pretty cool, and adding an auto-reload of files
when they change is high on my TODO list, so that just saving
the file in the editor would cause all ldlite windows to update.

-gyug