 CAD / 6293
Re: Steps and individual .pov files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 08:46:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Jake McKee" <sink@countersinkdg.com> writes:

Does anyone know if there is a way (and if so, how) to create a
series of .pov files based on the individual steps of a single .dat
or .mpd file?

Yes, in fact it is very easy with L3P!

Go to the L3P homepage at:

    http://home16.inet.tele.dk/hassing/l3p.html

and search downward for the text:

    "-sc  StepClock, add "#if (clock > n)" at steps"

Using this command line option, there will be generated checks at each
STEP in the instruction, like this:

   object { _3001_dot_dat ...
      object { _3297_dot_dat ... // [DAT lines in step 1]
      object { _6015_dot_dat ...
   // 0 STEP
   #if (clock > 1)
      object { _3001_dot_dat ...
      object { _3297_dot_dat ... // [DAT lines in step 2]
      object { _6015_dot_dat ...
   #end
   // 0 STEP
   #if (clock > 2)
      object { _3001_dot_dat ...
      object { _3297_dot_dat ... // [DAT lines in step 3]
      object { _6015_dot_dat ...
   #end
   // 0 STEP
   #if (clock > 3)
      object { _3001_dot_dat ...
      object { _3297_dot_dat ... // [DAT lines in step 4]
      object { _6015_dot_dat ...
   #end
   :
   :

(This is done by L3P, so there is no need to worry about it.)

Next, you simpy use the built in animation option in POV-Ray to render
all of the instruction steps in one run!  It's as simple as that.

Say there was a total of 8 STEPs.  You then use command line switches
for POV-Ray like this:

    povray +I car.pov +O car.png +FN +W400 +H300 -J +KFI1 +KFF8 +KI1 +KF8 +D +A

The switches +KFI1 +KFF8 say that STEPs one through eight will be
rendered, while the switches +KI1 and +KF8 say that the clock should
range from one to eight.  Make sure that the clock range is the same
as the STEP range, and you should be fine.  This singe command will
render all the eight first STEPs in the instruction, using the same
camera angle and viewing parameters!

Admittedly I have only used the command line interface to POV-Ray, so
I don't know how you would do this using the windows interface.

Fredrik