 CAD / 6106
Re: Naming of pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.db.inv, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:27:39 GMT

Sorry to quote so much from previous messages...

In lugnet.db.inv, William R. Ward writes:
Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> writes:

I'd put this particular piece in as a wing, and the matching brick as a
wedge, but the plate-with-panel doesn't really fit in with the panel
elements.  So is it better to leave these parts all together where they
are, or move some of them to more appropriate places, and leave the rest
behind?

recap: the parts I'm referring to are:

'this particular piece': <http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2625>
'matching brick': <http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2626>
'plate-with-panel': <http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2627>

See them all (along with other similar parts):
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/vehicle/boat>

What's the difference between a wedge and a slope?

Wedges are basically multisloped bricks.  See
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/wedge/> for examples.

If you're talking
about the brick I think you are, I sort it with slopes.

Hmm, good idea.  I've put a slope->wedge relationship into the partsref
generator, so on the next update (whenever that happens--not for weeks, I'm
sure), the Wedges category will appear as a second level group under Slopes.
Like Platforms currently shows up under Baseplates.

(See <http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/category/> for an outline of the
current partsref categories.)

[on to piece 4070 - Brick 1 x 1 with Headlight]:
Another thing about that piece - the stud on the side is not really on
the side - it's inset a bit.  So it doesn't really fit with the "Brick
1x4 With Studs On Side" unless there is further explanation, and that
gets too wordy.  I suppose "Brick 1x1 With Headlight" will have to do.

True, but the indent doesn't make a serious difference when it comes to
description.  I'm thinking (for LDraw) that this piece could be renamed to
'Brick 1 x 1 with Side Stud', and 'Headlight Brick' could be added to the
keywords (for use by search programs).

Probably.  Until you run into people who say "what does 'corrugated'
mean?".

That's what dictionaries are for.

:)

* The 2880 "Hinge Train Cantenary[sic] Holder" is not only misspelled • [snip]
There was a longish discussion or two about this one.  At least, it
should be Hinge Train Pantograph Arm (or ...Holder).  But Hinge Bar 3L
is probably better.

With 3 Fingers, right?

Why are the 3 fingers more important than the 2 fingers on the other end?

We could establish some jargonish terminology to succintly cover the various
hinge-finger configurations, but is achieving a higher level of accuracy &
precision worth creating a learning curve on part descriptions?

One trouble with train terminology is that it
isn't necessarily standard around the world.  Also, you have to be a
pretty hardcore train nut to know what a pantograph is.

"That's what dictionaries are for". ;) At least looking up 'pantograph' will
give you a small hint in the right direction.  Sort of.  At least, better
than 'ca[n]tenary'.

Seriously, if it gets to name changing, I'd probably try to get these parts:
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/search.cgi?q=2433+2880+4319+2375>
into alignment, with similar names, categorization, and/or keywords.

* The 4740, 3960, etc. "Space Radar Dishes" - how about something
generic like "Parabolic Dishes"?

I like Radar Dish, for reasons stated above.  Besides, I'm not convinced
the shape of these dishes is parabolic.

Probably not, but real radar dishes are.  The reason I dislike "radar
dish" is because there are a lot of radar dishes that are not round,
and a lot of satellite tracking, microwave transmission, and radio
telescope dishes that are not radar.  But all are parabolic.  The LEGO
element may not be a perfect parabola, but it's intended to *model* a
parabolic dish.

How about just "Dish"?  No parabolic, no space radar.

I'd love it if these elements that can serve multiple purposes can
appear in more than one category under LDraw, for example.

I go back and forth on that.  Should there be a taxonomic classification of
parts, where every part fits into exactly one place?  Is that even possible?
If it's not, 'category' isn't really a good description of what we're
talking about.  'Property' or 'affinity' might be better concepts.  A single
part could have the properties of 'boat', 'plate', 'tapered' and 'wing' (for
example).  Or it could have the affinities of being 90% boat, %85 plate, and
%25 wing (no, the % aren't supposed to add to 100).

* The 32293 "Technic Steering Link 9L" isn't necessarily for • [snip]
I don't have any of these, so I can't speak to it.  I thought the ends
were Technic peg holes.

No big deal.  I made that mistake when the more recent part was released in
LDraw.

* The 2741 "Technic Supercar Steering Wheel" isn't just on the Super
Car.  How about "Technic Steering Wheel with T-Shaped Center"?

This isn't an LDraw part, so I can't really comment on the name.

Well, it should be added to LDraw then, right?  So you'll need a name.

Oops.  An ldraw file has been submitted for that part.  See
<http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dat/parts/?n=2408>.  Augh; my escape hatch just
closed.

I agree on the multi-name dictionary aspect.  One name will never be
good enough.  And pictures will always trump names, when it comes to
part identification.

Unfortunately it is hard to alphabetize pictures ;-)

And searches are almost impossible against pictures.  Although I'm looking
forward to what Eric comes up with for BrickDraw3D.

Steve