 CAD / 6037
Re: 9V Train track DAT files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 17:10:59 GMT

Steve Bliss wrote:

[snipped .trains from the newsgroup header, as this is a .cad issue]

In lugnet.cad, Christopher Masi wrote:

Whether it is wrong or not to distribute ".dat" files with unofficial parts is
a complicated issue. Should the advanced user suffer to benefit the beginner, or
should life be made more difficult for the beginning to accommodate the advanced
user. I don't know, that is up to everyone to decide for themselves. Personally,
I have decided that for general distribution, .dat files on my web site for
example, I'll stick to official parts only. If I am mailing someone a .dat file
and I know they know what they are doing, I'll let them know the model uses an
unofficial part, and send them the model and the part.

Another choice is to wrap up the model and unofficial part(s) in an MPD.
Nearly all LDraw-based programs can render MPD, so there's not really a
compatibility issue.

Using an MPD is also a valid approach in the long term, because it
protects the model against changes that could occur to the part when it
is officialized.  There's nothing worse than revisiting your model 6
months later, and having to deal with a bunch of misnamed or mislocated
parts.

If there are a lot of unofficial parts the model, or you aren't keeping
track of which parts are unofficial, building the MPD could be a
problem.  I wonder if Empeedy can check for official/unofficial status
when building the MPD?  That'd be cool.

Steve

I was following you fine all the way up to the last paragraph. Are you saying
that an MPD's that are not made with official parts won't come out right or that
they won't show up right when viewed on someone elses system?

Chris

--
See some of my LEGO creations at http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/~lego/