 CAD / 6025
Re: 9V Train track DAT files?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 17:28:27 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Let me just first clear up a slight misconception... I wasn't trying to say
that either Chris OR James were doing anything wrong with theier use of
unofficial track models or anything like that.

I agree with Chris that the "wheel shiny" color is probably too shiny for
the rail... that rail is kind of a dull shiny. Typical Stainless Steel,
whereas the wheel almost looks chrome plated to my somewhat untrained eye.

I was toying with using the 9v track in my renderings (you can see them all
at the www.miltontrainworks.com site) but since someone else (Bram, thank
you very much Bram) put the render macros to gether for me, he went with the
12V/4.5v track and it looks fine to me anyway. Maybe not to a purist.

++Lar

Hi Lar (and everyone else),

  I didn't take what you said as an accusation of wrong doing; I understood your
statement to mean that you just didn't like the color I chose, and that it
shouldn't become the official color. Yep, I agree
  Whether it is wrong or not to distribute ".dat" files with unofficial parts is
a complicated issue. Should the advanced user suffer to benefit the beginner, or
should life be made more difficult for the beginning to accommodate the advanced
user. I don't know, that is up to everyone to decide for themselves. Personally,
I have decided that for general distribution, .dat files on my web site for
example, I'll stick to official parts only. If I am mailing someone a .dat file
and I know they know what they are doing, I'll let them know the model uses an
unofficial part, and send them the model and the part.
  Back to the track stuff. I found the 9v straight track again,[1] and put it
back into my LDRAW parts folder. James's pictures[2] looked nice with the shiny
rails, so I wanted to give the shiny rails a try.
  I ran the rails through l3p, and here are the results.

Using the original rail part descripction
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/shiny_track_1024.gif

Using my modified part where the electric part of the rails has been turned to
light gray
http://cmasi.chem.tulane.edu/gray_track_1024.gif  (this is my new desktop
picture :)

In a close up the shiny rails are just too shiny. I have no idea what is going
one here, but it looks like l3p is substituting the chrome color for the
"electric yellow" color.

1. Just so everyone know to which part I am referring, the header of the files is

0 9V straight train track
0 Name: 2865.dat
0 Author: Ludo Soete (ludo.soete@village.uunet.be)
0 track fixation hole copied from 767.dat by Chris Dee (chris_w_dee@hotmail.com)