 CAD / 4000
Re: Lugnet dat-file browsing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 17 Jun 2000 17:37:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Lachmann writes:
Now you hit me a bit hard but ok ....

I apologize if my questions are of a dry nature -- we're talking technical
details, after all.  :)

When I load an mpd file for example which is stored on my web-page
http://www.user.xpoint.at/m.lachmann/models/waggon.mpd ) then my viewer is
started by IE and gets no seperate window but is shown in the explorer
window itself .... fine
When loading a dat from lugnet, it first asked me what to do with cgi files
and I permanently configured my viewer for this. Now with every file I load
from lugnet a seperate window is opened.

This thing works with every web-server but I feel you are right with the
mime type ... but my program does not get any information about the mime
type itself, so I believe it's something between the server and the browser
causing this effect.

OK, here's what I see:  The waggon.mpd model (above) is being served by your
server as MIME type

   application/octet-stream

while the .dat models being served by lugnet.com are as MIME type

   application/x-ldraw

In other words, it appeas that the higher-level logic in your browser which
launches your application is associated with the MIME type application/
octet-stream.  To make your application launch with the official[1] type as
well, I believe all you need to do is create additional MIME associations in
your browser.

(BTW, a question for Steve/Jacob/etc.:  lugnet.com currently serves MPD
content as MIME type application/x-ldraw as if it were a regular .dat file.
Is this technically correct since MPD content is a special case of .dat
content, or is this currently broken because tools actually expect the MIME
type application/x-multi-part-ldraw for MPD content?)

--Todd

[1] http://www.ldraw.org/memorial/archive/FAQ/#question-32