 CAD / 3951
Re: Help with generating bmp/gif from ldraw parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 23:05:04 GMT

I have a similar problem with white space in LDLite.  When I use it to make a
picture it makes a window that takes up the whole screen with the part in the
middle and a lot of white space around it.  If I make the window smaller then I
see only white space in it.

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Mike Stanley wrote:

But I am trying to generate a VEC within LDAO for every part in every color.

My problem is don't quite get why or how the bmp's are being made with so • much
white space around them.  I don't know if there is a switch or setting I am
overlooking or what, but if I choose a tiny res, like 320x240, I end up
getting most of the pieces chopped off, or worse with the larger plates and
such.  But if I make them large enough for all the parts to fit inside the
image, the vast majority of the files have a huge amount of white space all
around them.

That's odd--LDLite crops images to the space actually used.  There
shouldn't be any white space.  Ever, as far as I know.

Have you generated images with the resolution set to '(default)' (or don't
set resolution at all).  With this option, LDLite should run full-screen,
and crop the images to the part-image.

I am trying to generate all of these because I need to see how much room they
all take up so I can figure out how to host them all in every color for
Brickbay.

Why not generate one set, and multiply the file-space by the number of
colors needed?  The various-colored part images are all going to be nearly
the same size.

Dan has used 80x60 thumbnails on his other site, so I guess those
would be fine for all but the largest pieces.  Any way I can have LDAO/LDLite
generate "cropped" images at a specific resolution, kinda like the ones in
partsref?

The images on Partsref *are* generated by LDAO/LDLite.  I just use PSP to
reformat the images from BMP to GIF.

There's a bug in LDAO's BMP-compress routine, sometimes skinny parts get
corrupted.  So I have to check the images after generating, delete the bad
ones, and regenerate them (without compression).  If your goal is strictly
to generate a set of images in GIF format, skip the LDAO compression, and
let your BMP2GIF tool deal with reducing the color-depth.

Steve