 CAD / 3857
Re: Bugfix Release of MLCad & More
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 23:00:46 GMT

ok, i've found a few bugs myself, and i have a few suggestions:
closing the picture generator window, once a large picture has been loaded, or
sometimes just loading a large picture, yields a page fault:

MLCAD caused an invalid page fault in
module MLCAD.EXE at 0137:0041c2f5.
Registers:
EAX=004bdf78 CS=0137 EIP=0041c2f5 EFLGS=00010206
EBX=00000000 SS=013f ESP=0072f048 EBP=00000002
ECX=00000000 DS=013f ESI=00000000 FS=51b7
EDX=00000003 ES=013f EDI=00000004 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
8b 06 ff 50 30 83 fd 07 77 5c ff 24 ad 68 c3 41
Stack dump:
013cffac 0072f0f4 013cffac 004692ff 004289fd 00000003 0042cc13 013cffac
013cffac 0072f0f4 004692ff 014a1af0 0072f0e8 0048cb64 00000000 0046932c

the picture generator is also quite slow.

while installing mlcad on a computer at my high school (an old pentium 133
w/16mb ram, minimum requirements almost exactly), i noticed that if mlcad
doesn't detect the 'lego base directory' (which should be called the 'ldraw
base directory', btw), and you change the directory to be correct, the status
window doesnt acknowledge the change, and still reports it as if it wasn't
found.

when selecting a primitive triangle/quad/(optional) line, the "more" button is
disabled, making it impossible to set the color to 16 or 24 (also see
suggestion below)

suggestions:

the "baseplate" category should display the pre-1.9 style larger images,
instead of the new 3-per row system, because they are now practically
indiscernable from each other.

also, when the "other parts" menu is clicked, it should show ALL of the other
parts, in alphabetical order (as opposed to displaying nothing), and when a
letter is clicked, it would only display those under that letter. and, under
the drop-list, the letter categories of "other parts" which are empty should
not be displayed. on the expansion menu, however, the unused letters should
stay.

a new category should be created for the _TLG-hardcolored parts, instead of
using /other parts/other/ category

two buttons should probably be added below "more" in the "paint-box", for
base-color and edge-color (base-color should be an edge-colored 'B' over
whatever color is selected, edge-color should be a base-colored 'E' over the
corresponding edge-color to whatever color is selected, in my opinion.)
also, having something to display the currently-selected-color should be added.

I hope these suggestions are considered.

Jonathan Gevaryahu
jgevaryahu(remove)@hotmail.com

p.s. on an entirely unrelated note, I noticed that several files in the newest
"complete.exe" are corrupt (at least mlcad thinks so), and the text file is out
of date, because the two updates that James himself did are no longer
necessary.