 CAD / 3737
Re: Setting up IE to view DAT files with L3Lab?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:37:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad, Jonathan Wilson writes:

"Fredrik Glöckner" wrote:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> writes:

Hmm.  What client are you using, and what URLs are you accessing?
The names "ldraw", "ldraw(1)", "ldraw(3)", etc. don't come from the
webserver -- it doesn't specify a filename.

I'm using Internet Explorer 4.0 on Windows NT platform (yes, this is
at work, I would never use such a thing at home).

The URLs I'm accessing are the ones you get by clicking on the "[DAT]"
symbol in the LUGNET web interface, eg:

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat.parts:1019

When I try to click on such a URL, I get a dialogue box with a text
like this: (translated from Norwegian) "You have chosen to download a
file from this site.  ldraw.  from www.lugnet.com"

Sometimes the word "ldraw" above is substituted with "ldraw(1)",
"ldraw(2)", etc.

To view the file in L3Lab, I have to manually select the program from
a list.

Thanks for your interest.  Any hints are appreciated.

Fredrik

It is getting the filename from the name of the CGI script, ldraw.cgi.

I'm pretty sure there are instructions on how to set this up in the README.TXT
file in the ldglite distribution.  They should be generic enough to apply to
l3lab.  The only gotcha is whether l3lab can handle filenames with spaces and
parenthesis that IE tends to use.  I suspect it can, but I have not yet tried
it.  The .cgi extension may confuse it though.  You can see the full name that
IE uses including the hidden directories in the title bar when you run ldglite.
It's pretty hideous.

Here's the appropriate section:

To use ldglite from MS Internet Explorer do this:

    1) Open an Explorer window (or any folder window).
    2) Select the "View->Folder Options" menu selection.
    3) Go to the "File Types" tab.
    4) Scroll down and double click on the "ldlite Document" line.
       If there is no "ldlite Document" line, click the "New Type" button
       and enter "ldlite Document" in the "Description of type" field
       and ".dat" for the "Associated extension".
    5) In the "Content Type" field, type in "application/x-ldraw"
    6) In the "Actions" area, Click on the "New..." button.
       For the Action name, type "open".
       For the filename, browse to the location of ldglite.exe

Don

I'm fairly sure I swiped these instructions from somewhere on Lugnet anyways.