 CAD / 3626
3625  |  3627
Subject:
User POV substitutions in L3P
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 18:08:06 GMT

After playing with Ldraw, The first thing I wanted to do was learn the file
format and write a converter to POV.  Then I found L3P, and was delighted.
When I saw the minifigs with faceted heads, I investigated and learned about
the triangle and quad lists in the primitives.  L3P does do some primitive
substitution, but I was limited to whatever it knew about.  To address this I
have written an L3P post processor.  The basic idea is that you put
conditional compile commands and POV rendering commands in the Ldraw
primitives and parts files.  Since the commands are stored in the comment
fields, they are ignored by Ldraw and L3P, they end up in the final POV file.
The post processor, reads the L3P generated file, and writes a new file with
the POV primitive substitutions.  The new file is smaller, and better suited
for POV rendering, since huge mesh commands are replaced with simple POV
primitives.  I have been satisfied with the results. However, it does require
editing the files in your P and Parts folders.  So far I have only added
primitives to 2 parts, just for testing.

Is there any interest in this?

-Chuck Sommerville