 CAD / 3145
Re: Using motion blur to give the illusion of speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:39:01 GMT

sparre@sys-323.risoe.dk (Jacob Sparre Andersen) writes:

Sometimes people make unrealistic motion blur, where they
give the final image more weight than the preceeding images
to give both a good picture of the car and give an
impression of action. Have you tried that?

I haven't tried it, but I'm familiar with the technique.  In the first
image below, I have weighted the "centre" images more than the other
ones, to simulate a "slow" shutter, most like an SLR.

The second image below has all the frames weighted equally much,
simulating a fast shutter, like a compact camera.

This effect is hardly visible, though.

    http://biopc45.uio.no/temp/motion1.jpg
    http://biopc45.uio.no/temp/motion2.jpg

What you suggested above can be achieved in real life by using a flash
and a long exposure.  The flash will capture one frame totally in focus,
while the long exposure will create a "tail" of blurred movement.  This
looks very cool, I have done it myself with my camera.  But I haven't
tried it with POV-Ray.

Now you just have to make the car vibrate slightly. :-)

That is a good idea!  I though of doing that with my "space ship taking
off animation", but I wanted to shake the camera slighly as the ship
accelerated into warp speed, to simulate shockwaves or something to that
effect.  I never got around to doing that, though.

Of course, the engine should vibrate more than the car, and the wheels
even more.  Now, how to do that?  ;-)

Fredrik