 CAD / 3143
3142  |  3144
Subject:
Using motion blur to give the illusion of speed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 08:51:30 GMT

I've been working a bit lately with making images to capture the
impression of movement and speed, and I thought I would share my
experiences so far with you.

What I do is to use L3P/POV-Ray in the usual way, but I also render many
images where the elements which are supposed to move are offset slightly
in every frame.  This is easy to do with the built in animation
capability in POV-Ray.  Then I average over all the images to produce
one image where the movement is blurred out slightly.  I use the
ImageMagick tools to do the averaging of the images.

This emulates the process which goes on in a camera when photographing
a moving object.  The camera's shutter usually stays open for a short
while, capturing the moving object along it's trajectory.

I've rendered a car in these two images.  The car is moved along the
surface, and the wheels are rotated accordingly, as is the engine.  I
let the camera pan so that it follows the car, which gives a blurred
background.  The camera follows the centre of the car, near the steering
wheel, which is why that area is less blurred than the front and rear.
If I had moved the camera along a line parallell to the car's
trajectory, the amount of blurring would be constant on the car.

    http://biopc45.uio.no/temp/motion1.jpg
    http://biopc45.uio.no/temp/motion2.jpg

The first image is an average over 20 images, while the last one only
uses 10 frames.

Please disregard the cheesy background and poor lightning conditions.
I'll work more on that later on.

The flexible hoses were modeled with LDraw-mode.

It looks strange to have a moving car without any driver, but we have
unfortunately not modeled the Technic figures yet.  My NLSO said that I
should put Cartman in the driver's seat.  Anybody have a POV-Ray model
of Cartman?  ;-)

Fredrik