 CAD / 3063
Re: My first DAT file!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 15:18:37 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Mike Poindexter wrote:

In lugnet.cad.dat, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Well, actually an MPD. If this works right, it's a model of my yellow and
black Hydrogen Tanker.

This car has been around a while, since I got my AucZILLA VII winnings, I • think
it was, which included a bazillion yellow 1x1 round bricks...

I would be interested in feedback on the number of steps, as well as on • whether
I should have done things in a different order.

I saw a double step in one part where only one was needed.

I caught that after I posted it, I was working by inserting a lot of
steps in front of the trucks (which actually were the first things
placed in the model, but then I built everything in front of them.

I notice some people put the trucks first... should I move them first,
and make two different submodels, one with all the step pauses to see
the detail and one without them? That was the idea behind the hy_tube
submodel, the first tube is built up out of individual parts, but I
think I need a step to show that it's a technic pin that holds one end
of the tube to the technic beam (the other (stud) end just plugs in)

Any reason you use an axle pin instead of a normal pin?
There are some instruction features that need to be added, like a submodel
having a x33 for your hydrogen tubes and a part with an arrow pointing to
where it goes.  Maybe in version 1.6...

Also, when you add the yellow round 1x1 plates to the back side, you should • use
a rotation step where you spin the model around 180 degrees.  Although it
doesn't show when you go through in MLCAD, it does show up when you print
instructions.

Or put the plates there first, just hanging in space, before the beam
assemblies are placed?

I usually build things where you can actually snap them together or lay them
down.  I would have put the 1x10's and everything else there first and then
flip the model over and add the yellow technic 1x8 bricks.  It is just
building style.  I think yours is a little off for kids, but how many 6 year
olds are going to be using the net to build train cars?

LDLite won't show the rotation step either, I assume. Also, if this
model is eventually POVRayed, do the rotation steps have any effect at
that time?

I have no idea, as I am new to POV-RAY.

That is all I could find that might need to be changed.  Order of steps is
fine.  Nice model.  When I first saw it, I thought that it was solid 1x1
rounds, which would have been absolutely crazy.

Hehe, it's SUPPOSED to look like it's all 1x1s but even I don't have
THAT many. It looks like it uses 300 but it actually only uses 165. The
yellow bricks in the center are there to hide the fact that it's hollow.

There is one other bug in the version I posted. One end of the car has
to have the tubes reversed as you cannot have the axle/pin go in the end
of a beam that has a 1x1 round plugged in. Easy fix though as you just
rotate (around the Z axis) the 4 assemblies at that end, they're even
centered correctly so you don't have to move them after you rotate 180.

Again, thanks for your help and comments.