 CAD / 1920
Re: Regarding the "hoser" program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 23:33:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
I'm aware that there exists a spreadsheet which can be used for making
curved hoses at

   http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Fields/1864/hoses.html

Now, I haven't got any software to use such spreadsheets (assuming it's
Excel?), nor have I even used a spreadsheet before.  (I haven't used
Word either, some find that even harder to believe.)  I couldn't find
any README.TXT file in the hoser.zip archive either.

D'oh, I still haven't fixed that error, have I.

Anyway, I wonder if someone can very briefly explain to me what kind of
technology is used.  Do you use splines or bezier curves, or something
completely different?

It's based on a spline curve.

Do you specify the direction at the endpoints and
total length of the hose?

You specify endpoints and "control points" which determine the curves shape.

Is the hose layout determined by minimizing
the maximum curvature given some constraints, or by some other
technique?

I'm sure there are others who could explain spline curves better than me.
Using the control points (which really work like vectors) you can pull the
curve in any direction.  Well, almost any direction.  I've been meaning to try
a hose in a loop configuration, or even a double loop.

Unfortunately with the spline curve formula I found to use, points along the
curve are given at even intervals of "t", not even distances along the curve.
So I added some "normalizing" formulas to approximate equidistant points, then
had to rotate each section of the hose so it points toward the next.

I would love it if some handy programmer would care to write a proggy which
would accomplish the same task without the cumbersome use of a spreadsheet.

-John Van