 CAD / 1880
1879  |  1881
Subject:
Newbie/Other 3D Programs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 26 May 1999 20:07:10 GMT

Having just found this server yesterday night, I'm *overwhelmed* with
the amount of information here!  I picked up the whole PoVRay/Ldraw
package a few years ago (I think....), and decided that PoV was not for
me.  I've since graduated to trueSpace (another 3D modeling/rendering
package) and started modeling basic LEGO bricks last year.  The old
fashioned way.  With a pair of digital calipers.  I realized that I
didn't have *nearly* enough time to model *all* the LEGO pieces, so once
again, I gave up.  But last night, I got the urge again, and remembered
Ldraw.  So with the help of Yahoo!, I tracked down a program that
converts the .dat files for the pieces into .dxf files (that trueSpace
can import).  I'm up to 3030.dat as we speak.  And that's just the
original set, without any updates!.  Now for the question....  Is there
anyone else here who uses "professional" 3D programs with the Ldraw
pieces?  I've come across a few that dat2dxf can't convert  Also, Is
there any way to backwards-convert pieces I model to Ldraw .dat format?
Although being a 3D beginner, I'd *love* to take a stab at some needed
pieces (Star Wars, Minifig hair).