 CAD / 1877
Re: Fallingwater landscape
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 25 May 1999 12:45:35 GMT

Bram Lambrecht:

Thanks, Jacob, but I'm not sure your landscape will work too well with
the building.  You see, the actual building is in Pennsylvania, not a
particularly mountainous state.  The main cantilever deck hangs out over
the brook (Bear Run?) and part of the waterfall, which is probably no
more than 2 or 3 meters high.  The whole scene is set in a deciduous
forest.
  I must admit that the tall cliffs you generated would make a very
impressive setting!  I don't want to detract from the building though.

I forgot to set the height differences to something
sensible. Didn't think about the forest part. We definitely
need some nice trees.

It is quite hard to recreate a landscape from memory (of a
photo :-).

I have put a slightly less mountain-like version of the
landscape up[1].

  I've played with the landscape generator a little bit before, so maybe
I can try to create the landscape I'm looking for.  The very least I can
do is create a landscape and then edit the DAT file instead of the image.
I seem to remember the landscape generator using plates and bricks to
build the landscape.  Has this been changed to use the tall 1x1 bricks?

It uses 1x1x5 bricks when you run it with the flag -minimal.

Could it be edited to use 2x2 bricks to create a flatter landscape?

Of cause.

You would have to multiply the x and y coordinates by two,
and change the part names, but the rest should be just the
same. - Would you like me to add the option to the program?
The really lazy solution is to magnify your image by a
factor of two just before you run the landscape generator.

Play well,

Jacob

1) <URL:http://hugin.ldraw.org/temp/Fallingwater-foundation-low-dat.zip>

      --  E-mail:        sparre@cats.nbi.dk         --