 CAD / 17703
Re: Converting LDD parts to LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 07:59:32 GMT

With your instructions I've started on part 4505. I got the number from another
post of yours, though everyone else seems to only know it as x79. I found that
with your technique I had a problem reorienting the part (it was at a strange
angle) and repositioning it until I hit on a good idea:
(snip)
Ah - yes, thanks for posting this. Indeed getting the right orientation is a bit
tricky the first time. You can also get the orientation another way: a litle
later in the 3dxml file you have several lines beginning with "Polyline
vertices": these are the lines forming the base grid of LDD. You may also use
that to derive correct orientation.

And in fact, if you don't rotate LDD view after startup, this orientation is
always the same, and you can follow this procedure:
- select everything
- translate by Z=+11
- Rotate around X-axis by an angle of 35.264° = atan(sqrt(1/2))
- Rotate 45° around Y axis
- scale by 25.

As with any released LUT pieces this one requires a lot of cleanup work, which
I've started on.
Yeah, getting the shape is only the tip of the iceberg!

It has no edges at all, and of course needs changes to the
interior (notably an inverted stud, and some expansion to deal with the fact
that the head is 26 LDU wide, not 25),
Add to that the cylindrical part not built with the right number of facets
(16)...

but probably the worst thing I found is
that the wrinkles on the sides of the cowl are not represented in the part
as-is, so I'll have to add some guesswork edges and triangles for detail. Funny
how you can never fully get away from hand-made.
...especially when the meshes you start with are not exact. A guy attracted my
attention on the ghost shroud (http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LEGODraw/m2588.dat)
that don't even has the right number of folds...

I'm not sure what to put in the history header, since this isn't from an
official LUT part release but the original data basically comes raw from LDD. Is
"Converted from LDD" good enough?
I guess that...

Philo