 CAD / 17697
17696  |  17698
Subject:
Converting LDD parts to LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2011 19:14:47 GMT

This method derives from this Superkalle post on Eurobricks. Many thanks to him!

  • Download and install Dassault Systems 3DVIA Screenprint. In order to control your screen captures in native 3D XML file format, it helps to install also the 3D XML player. Both of them are freeware.
  • Launch 3DVIA Screenprint. An icon will appear in your Windows tray.
  • Launch LDD (preferably in extended mode to get all parts)
  • Make sure that “Outline on bricks” is NOT enabled, or the 3D capture woudn’t work properly. If necessary uncheck this option and restart LDD.
  • Add the part you want to convert.
  • Press F10 key, the hotkey of 3DVIA Screenprint. The file is captured and displayed by the viewer
  • Get the file (right-click on 3DVIA icon and choose “Explore results”), rename it from .3dxml to .zip and unzip it. Inside is a text only 3dxml file, open it with a text editor.
  • Scroll down to the VertexBuffer section, that contains a long string of numbers behind Positions. Each group of 9 represent the 3 coordinates of the three vertices of mesh triangles.
  • Now you only have to separate these groups, add 3 16 in front, and save the file as .dat. I simply used a scriptable text editor to do that automatically. Now you have the raw LDraw file!
Of course that’s only the beginning, you’ll have to open it in MLCad, give it proper orientation, scale (x25) and origin, then add edge lines/condlines with Edger2, do primitive substitutions, etc...

See the result here...

Philo