 CAD / 17702
Re: Converting LDD parts to LDraw
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 May 2011 06:51:02 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
No need to do the conversion for this one, it was already done in LUT program
http://www.ldraw.org/wiki/index.php/L(EGO)Draw_Parts_Page_27 (file at
http://www.holly-wood.it/tmp/LEGODraw/m6251.dat)

BTW your cat, albeit a bit sketchy, was outstanding for a hand made job!

Thanks. I had forgotten about the LUT version of that part.

With your instructions I've started on part 4505. I got the number from another
post of yours, though everyone else seems to only know it as x79. I found that
with your technique I had a problem reorienting the part (it was at a strange
angle) and repositioning it until I hit on a good idea:

1) Add a 1x1 brick to the field before adding the part. I also added a 1x1 round
brick on top of that to serve as a stand-in for a head. Make these temporary
bricks a different color.
2) After converting, load in MLCad and set the rotation center to 0,0,0. Select everything and scale up 25x with the matrix 25 0 0 0 25 0 0 0 25.
3) Select one of the large triangles on the side of the 1x1 brick, front view,
and recolor it so it stands out.
4) Find two points on the triangle that have the biggest X difference. Measure
delta x (dx) and delta z (dz), i.e. dx=x2-x1, dz=z2-z1. Calculate
A=arctan(dz/dx). Select everything and rotate by angle A around direction 0,1,0.
5) Using the same two points, repeat this procedure for dx and dy. Calculate
A=arctan(dy/dx), and rotate by angle A around direction 0,0,-1.
6) Using the two points with the largest Y difference, measure dy and dz.
Calculate A=arctan(dz/dy). Rotate by A around -1,0,0.
7) Perform any remaining rotations in whole 90 degree steps.
8) Use the same triangle, and one on another side of the 1x1 brick, to find the
average X, Y, and Z positions for the corners of the brick. Adjust the position
by the negative of the average to move the brick to 0,0,0, and then move the
brick down as needed to position the main part where you want it.
9) Delete the temporary parts, leaving only the main part.

As with any released LUT pieces this one requires a lot of cleanup work, which
I've started on. It has no edges at all, and of course needs changes to the
interior (notably an inverted stud, and some expansion to deal with the fact
that the head is 26 LDU wide, not 25), but probably the worst thing I found is
that the wrinkles on the sides of the cowl are not represented in the part
as-is, so I'll have to add some guesswork edges and triangles for detail. Funny
how you can never fully get away from hand-made.

I'm not sure what to put in the history header, since this isn't from an
official LUT part release but the original data basically comes raw from LDD. Is
"Converted from LDD" good enough?