 CAD / 17631
Re: Primitives and long file names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2011 15:29:18 GMT

- Continue to cram everything in 8 characters nonetheless, eg. ...
with some extreme, almost meaningless cases like ...p/48/11-48r19.dat

Most extreme will be this with a radius >100 e.g. 11-48120. You will never know
if this is a ring or cone or whatever.

- Go above 8 chars, ... incoherency could be  cured by a few ~movedto.

This should be practicable for existing parts when you are restricted to 8
characters (e.g. by using DOS - see the post above) but will be a problem with
new parts. But what do DOS users do with already existing parts longer than 8
characters (e.g. http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=4345bp03c01)?

I would prefer leaving the 8 character restriction. But then we should be
consequent:

- Always using prefixes with the least common denominator (e.g. "1-4" instead of
"2-8").
- Always using the complete description (e.g. "disc" instead of "dis" or "ring"
instead of "rin").

Brickaneer