 CAD / 16773
16772  |  16774
Subject:
Pneumatics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2009 15:38:08 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all.

The library update 2009-03 includes Technic pneumatic parts - the tiny pump, the
old pump, the distribution block, T-pieces and both valves.

However, they have different origins than the ones they had for the years they
were on the Parts Tracker. They were hold-voted for those origins and other
reasons, and one random day in December I fixed a couple of those origins,
beginning the chain of events with lots hard work from several parts authors and
reviewers and especially from Chris to get these parts prepared for release.

But as the origins have now been changed, this means *any* model that does not
include the old pneumatic pieces in itself will be broken. Also some parts have
been renumbered, and references to the old number without including the part
will be broken. This was the price that had to be paid for official pneumatic
parts. I know such models will be huge in number - in fact I have no idea how
many models are now broken because of this... hundreds? even thousands? I do not
know.

What I do know though is that I want to fix this, or at least ease this. And
thus I am working on a program that will fix the references to old pneumatic
parts. It will correct references to parts which were renumbered and with vector
calculations fix references to origin-changed parts.

I can not deploy it before at least the next update, however. I want to
guarantee that once fixed, the models will not break again. And to guarantee
that I need all remaining pneumatic parts out. While another origin change in
parts at PT would be... improbable, it theoretically is possible. And I don't
want that. But I promise that once the last of the corrected pneumatic pieces is
in the official library, I will deploy this application should it work
correctly.

I need some help, however. I never used the pneumatic parts in my models. I
never could... I did not know how pneumatics worked. And I do not have the old
pneumatic pieces here. So if anybody has the old pneumatic parts somewhere,
could they let me have them somehow? That way I could create models to test my
fixer program on. That way I could be sure it works properly.

Please don't blame me or Chris or other LDraw member for those broken models.
What was done had to be done. And now I'm only trying to make the pain more
bearable.

-Santeri