 CAD / 15778
Re: Tool to reconstruct models from POV files
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:11:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Horvath wrote:
I'm thinking of creating a tool to reconstruct LDR models from L3P-generated POV
files. I'm wondering before I start what particular potential problems I should
look out for. POV SDL is quirky to say the least, but at first glance L3P's
output possesses enough regularilty for this to be feasable.

I don't think it's safe to assume that L3P won't change its POV output, and I
don't think it's fair for the existence of a tool that depends on that output to
discourage Lars from changing it.  (I know you weren't implying that it would,
but it's something to consider.)

I know that the latest L3P beta does a lot of things differently from the
previous version.  I also know that I'm constantly tweaking the POV output in
LDView.  And while LDView just had its first POV-supporting beta release,
meaning that my changes to my output will slow down, I know that I have plans to
change certain things significantly in future versions in order to support
features that aren't there yet.

--Travis