 CAD / 15223
Re: Parallels Advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 6 May 2008 17:38:46 GMT

Tim Courtney wrote:
I'm mostly interested in checking out SR3D and LD4DModeler.

In addition to LDraw feedback, I'm also interested in general opinions on the
two and am polling tech friends inside/outside of LEGO and a couple Microsoft
evangelists I know who will no doubt try to convert me to Vista even though I'm
leaning towards XP. ;-)

-Tim

Hello Tim,

LD4DStudio (I think you mean that one) works on both xp and vista but in
vista the new 'feature' uac might complain during setup and or run. You
can fix that by ether not installing in program files (instead use your
user profile). or by changing the folder rights after installation in
program files.

All this is because Vista don't like programs to write stuff in their
installation directory. But I wrote (and like) LD4DStudio to keep all
it's stuff together for mobility.

I actually use Vista (64 bit) on my developer pc but I gave up on the
uac and turned it off so it's not an issue anymore.

About choosing between XP or Vista, given the chance I would now go for
XP I think. Vista has lots of 'features' advanced users will not like.

Also OpenGL is slightly slower in windowed mode. Because it runs through
Direct X in the new desktop theme. If you set the desktop to 'classic'
it's native as with XP.

Only real reason to justify to go for Vista is Direct X 10 IMHO.

Greetings,

Roland