 CAD / 15211
Re: Parallels Advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 3 May 2008 22:10:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney wrote:
I just bought Parallels with the intent of running Windows LDraw software and
eventually Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Now comes the decision: Should I go
with XP or Vista?

I've heard bad about Vista in the IT community, and I can scrounge an XP license
for free or cheap vs. paying $$ for Vista. Any Vista users out there care to
comment on how the current LDraw suite performs in it? Or any other general
feedback?

Thanks!

-Tim

I run Windows XP on my Mac via dual boot and VMWare Fusion and have had zero
problems with any LDraw related software.

I also run Vista on a dedicated laptop and have had few issues with some older
programs (LeoCAD to be specific) but no show stoppers.

I would choose XP for 2 reasons:
- The previously mentioned restriction against virtualization in the EULA for
Vista Home Basic/Premium
- Virtualization software (Parallels or VMWare) plays better with XP since it is
a more mature platform.

-Orion