 CAD / 15205
    Parallels Advice —Tim Courtney
   I just bought Parallels with the intent of running Windows LDraw software and eventually Microsoft Flight Simulator X. Now comes the decision: Should I go with XP or Vista? I've heard bad about Vista in the IT community, and I can scrounge an XP (...) (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Parallels Advice —Jim DeVona
     (...) What specific Windows LDraw software do you want to use? I would just check whether there are any Vista compatibility issues with those programs. (I haven't heard of any.) Jim (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Parallels Advice —Tim Courtney
     (...) I'm mostly interested in checking out SR3D and LD4DModeler. In addition to LDraw feedback, I'm also interested in general opinions on the two and am polling tech friends inside/outside of LEGO and a couple Microsoft evangelists I know who will (...) (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Parallels Advice —Jim Hughes
      (...) Tim, I cannot comment directly on the LDraw software or on Parallels, however I run Vista via Bootcamp on my Intel IMac without any problems. If you can stand this additional inconveinance there should be no problem running LDraw software or (...) (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

          Re: Parallels Advice —Travis Cobbs
      (...) That's not 100% accurate. Vista Business and Vista Ultimate can both be legally run in a VM, as far as I understand. --Travis (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

          Re: Parallels Advice —Jim Hughes
      (...) Travis; You, of course, are correct. Home Basic and Home Premium cannot be virtualized, but the more expensive version can. Just recently MS was going to change the EULA to allow virtualization, but then changed its mind back. --Jim (16 years ago, 4-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Parallels Advice —Roland Melkert
     (...) Hello Tim, LD4DStudio (I think you mean that one) works on both xp and vista but in vista the new 'feature' uac might complain during setup and or run. You can fix that by ether not installing in program files (instead use your user profile). (...) (16 years ago, 6-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Parallels Advice —Orion Pobursky
     (...) I run Windows XP on my Mac via dual boot and VMWare Fusion and have had zero problems with any LDraw related software. I also run Vista on a dedicated laptop and have had few issues with some older programs (LeoCAD to be specific) but no show (...) (16 years ago, 3-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Parallels Advice —Ahui Herrera
   (...) Tim over at The Art of Warfare (www.taw.net), gaming clan I'm a member of, we have hd this debate of XP vs Vista since Vista came out. After a 3 month study we are advising members to DOWNGRADE to XP on their gaming rigs espeically those (...) (16 years ago, 7-May-08, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: Parallels Advice —Tim Courtney
   (...) [...] (...) Ahui, Thanks, the detailed analysis helps a lot. I've decided to go with XP. I won't be doing 'life stuff' with XP as I have OSX for that, but I will be installing Windows LDraw tools and playing around. I'll have to look into the (...) (16 years ago, 7-May-08, to lugnet.cad)