 CAD / 1494
Re: Part: Plate 2 x 2 with hand rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 13:24:53 GMT

On Thu, 1 Apr 1999 03:37:22 GMT, "Tim McSweeney" <tim##NO_SPAM##@ams.co.nz>
wrote:

Ok I think I'm with you, (unfortunately I'm at work so I have to do all
this in my head :)  The result of the above transformation
should be a circle skewed upwards into an ellipse,  Seen from above it
looks like a circle and seen form along the Z axis it looks
like a line at 45 deg to the horizontal plane?

Am I correct so far?

Right.  Well, I'm not sure it is *technically* an ellipse, but otherwise,
your exactly right.

This would be perfect if the  diagonal corner arms intersected with a horizontal tube but what actually happens is that at the
corners of the rail there is a 1/4 Torus and the Diagonal Arms intersect at the midpoint of the Torus,  ie there is about 1/8th of a
torus on either side of the arm.

Oops.  Sorry.

Damn this is hard to explain.
Have you seen this part?

Yes.

You could do this by brute force -- generate an octer[1]-torus, then find
the segment that intersects the side-arm.   Interpolate X and Z to get the
points along the actual edge of intersection, and you've got it.

Assuming your side-arms are 6LDU wide, centered, and at a 45-degree angle
(all of which looks to be right), you'd want to delete the bits where Z > X
- 3*sqrt(2).

Then reflect and rotate to use that solution 8 times in your part.

That's how I would do it.

Or get some 3D modeling software that will figure the difference for you,
and you can convert the result to DAT code.

Steve
--
1- 'Octer' is the word for 1/8, right?