 CAD / 1491
Re: Part: Plate 2 x 2 with hand rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 03:37:22 GMT

Ok, I'm not sure I understand that 100% but I'll go have a play and see what I can do, It's given me somethign to chew on.

(Time to drag out the graphics text book )

In this case, you're taking a circle and projecting it onto the plane where
X=Y.  So the commandline I gave you does exactly that.  Makes the X and Y
components exactly the same.

Steve

Ok I think I'm with you, (unfortunately I'm at work so I have to do all this in my head :)  The result of the above transformation
should be a circle skewed upwards into an ellipse,  Seen from above it looks like a circle and seen form along the Z axis it looks
like a line at 45 deg to the horizontal plane?

Am I correct so far?

This would be perfect if the  diagonal corner arms intersected with a horizontal tube but what actually happens is that at the
corners of the rail there is a 1/4 Torus and the Diagonal Arms intersect at the midpoint of the Torus,  ie there is about 1/8th of a
torus on either side of the arm.

Damn this is hard to explain.
Have you seen this part?

If the Arm was of Zero thickness then the intersection with the torus would be a prefect circle, but it's 6 units wide (3 on either
side of the midpoint) and at that distance the torus has started to curve slightly  which throws the circles off,  Not much, a plain
circle _almost_ looks right but not quite.

Have I confused you, Got the wrong end of the stick, or just made a fool of myself?

Tim