 CAD / 1492
Re: Part: Plate 2 x 2 with hand rail
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 1999 04:52:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat, Tim McSweeney writes:
Ok Here's my first attempt at modeling an Ldraw part. It's the 2 x 2 plate • with grab rail, commonly seen in the divers sets

I only have one issue with it (that I know about),  On the diagonal arms, the • intersection with torus in the corners is Drawn as a
perfect circle but in fact it should be some sort of funky Ellipse.  Is this • acceptable as is?  if not is there an easy way to
calculate what the correct shape is?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I even searched unsuccessfully
for a bagel to use as a model.

I think the shape you are looking for is an ovoid, like the cross-section of
an egg, in your case lying on its side.

You'll have to use two 2-4edge.dats, one stretched horizontally, and the other
squeezed horizontally.

OK, let's see...  I'm assuming the torus of the bar has a thickness of 8, but
I don't know the inner radius of the torus, so let's call it r.  I'm not sure
of the thickness of the bracket, either, so let x=1/2 thickness of bracket.

The elongated half of the ovoid will point inward.  Its y-axis radius will be
4, and its x-axis radius will be calculated thus:
     sqrt((r+4)^2-x^2)-sqrt(r^2-x^2)

The shortened half of the ovoid points outward.  Its y-axis radius will also
be 4, but its x-axis radius will be calculated:
     sqrt((r+8)^2-x^2)-sqrt((r+4)^2-x^2)

Of course once you have your ovoid edge, it will have to be rotated 45
degrees, and placement might be a bit difficult.  If this doesn't make sense
to you (or me, for that matter) then maybe I'll take a crack at it tommorrow.

Thanks for posing such an interesting question.

-John Van