 CAD / 14682
Re: Counting Parts in MPD file
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:39:13 GMT

On 2007-08-09, mikeheide mikeheide@web.de wrote:
   I just saw the thread “MPD to LDR converter?” (http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=14675) and thought about what Joel Hoornbeek wrote. If I have an MPD File with many of submodels that are used in the main model, I only have to 1) export that main model 2) open that new file with MLCad 3) use the function to count the parts.

I have checked that and it works perfect!

It does indeed! As long as it really does.... ;) I hope the MLCAD’s author (if he reads this) will take this as possible suggestions for improvements, not criticism. After all, it is a wonderful tool and I am immensely grateful for it!

The first problem is that, in the case of many submodels, it is quite a painful process to deselect all the others in order to only export the main one. Ok, you can choose to export everything and then just delete the other files but still... the easiest way would be definitely just to immediately give the parts list (instead of a list of submodels) with the actual parts of the (sub)model currently being chosen. But until then, the 3-step-procedure described above is of course one option.

However, recently (of course, at the moment when I most needed it) I managed to create a model that MLCAD couldn’t chew... or, it could chew it but not swallow ;) When opening the parts report, it counts the parts correctly (all the monster’s 35777 parts), but the scrollable list itself shows only 289 of them. Unfortunately, the cvs-export function does the same so I had to make a quick’n’dirty perl script to analyse the ldr-file and make the cvs-list (I *really* hope I didn’t make any mistakes ;) ). I still haven’t managed to find out what it is (a certain part or something) that causes this problem.

I also noticed that MLCAD exports hidden parts as if they weren’t hidden. While I understand there might be situations in which this behaviour would be desired, it would be nice if it were possible to ignore hidden parts. This is a small issue that can be avoided though, by ghosting them.

When it comes to LDView, since we have a clearly not biased *cough* author here, I have two suggestions there as well (thanks for the export-function!). You are, of course, free to ignore them at will :) 1. Would it be possible to choose the sorting order? For example, sorting first by color, then by part name... 2. Would it be a problem to make a cvs-export as well? It helps when parts are imported into Excel (or any other program) since they can then easily be sorted, arranged, resorted, rearranged, deleted... :)

Cheers, Matija