 CAD / 14321
Re: LDraw Official Model Repository (OMR)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2006 05:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, James Reynolds wrote:
I'm going to start development on the LDraw.org OMR.   Currently
I'm in the brainstorming and idea phase of the project.  Here's my
ideas:

Ok, this shows how clueless I am, but what language will it be?  Will
it be part of the postnuke framework?

Presumably, yes.

Is it PHP?

Yes

- Automated submission via forms
- Submissions moderated prior to inclusion in the database

Ok, I'm not promising, but I actually may like to do that.
Especially if I get to deny submissions because it was modeled
badly.  :D  Or at least be able to give it a grade (I don't really
want to deny everything, but would like to be able to improve model
submissions if possible).

That's great.  I'm not sure I'd want to reject a legitimate submission outright
but it could be assign a "need work" tag.  I'm also not interested in making the
OMR like the Parts Tracker.  In other words, I want definitive moderation and
not a voting system.

- Automatic previw image generation
- Searchable via theme, set title, set number, etc..
- Cross links to Peeron inventories

Questions:
- How to handle unofficial parts

Your ideas, requests, suggestions?

Should it allow for multiple versions of the same set? Seems mean
if 2 people
both happen to have done the same set not to be able to credit them
both. And
there's the problem of who decides which one is "best" anyway.

I think multiple versions is a good idea.  Maybe it would also reduce
multiple versions since people will notice the set is already created.

Multiple versions are alright I suppose but I'd like to flag one as "preferred"

Maybe it could be like brickset too, where viewers can add
comments. Though they
would have to be moderated too, increasing the workload for
moderators.

Sounds cool.

Comments are good.  I'd also like to see comments from moderation process.

And what about partial sets? Someone may decide they want to submit
(e.g.) the
B-Wing, but not it's stand, or 1 vehicle in a multi vehicle set.
Should that be
possible?

Why not.  Maybe there should be 3 categories:

- Lego official sets, LDraw official
- Lego official sets, non-LDraw official
- MOC

Partial is good.  I like the idea of separate model in separate submissions.  As
far a MOCs, I'm on the fence.

And as well as the auto-preview, people should be able to submit
their own
renders.

What about vr objects or movies?  Is there server space to store that
stuff?  I always thought vr objects were much better ways to view
models, and they are really easy to create if you know how.

And has anyone thought of writing something that allows a person to
create an image preview in a webapp?

Wow, you like to think big.  I suppose movies and VR are possible and the system
should be built to allow different mediums.  As far as a web app, that would be
cool and is probably feasible given today's technology.

As far as unofficial parts go, I don't see any problem allowing
them, unless
it's difficult to make them available to the auto-image generator -
it looks
like the most common viewers and editors are all starting to get
auto part
download functionality, so as far as the user is concerned, it
should all get
handled after they retrieve the file.

A lot of MOC's include the unofficial parts they use as well,
especially since sometimes they will change.  So it uses what it was
created with.

Ok, and I'm showing my favoritism for Anton Raves library, but we
could also generate POV-Ray files for submissions too, using L3P and
Anton's converter.  I'm not sure he would like that or not, but just
an idea.

My concern with unofficial files is not orientation change (as that seems to
happen early in the life cycle of a part) but name change.  Unless we store
everything a MPD with unofficial parts included, name change could become a
problem.

One more thing, I think all submissions should fall under the CA.  Thoughts?

-Orion