 CAD / 14319
Re: LDraw Official Model Repository (OMR)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 23:00:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
I'm going to start development on the LDraw.org OMR.   Currently I'm in the brainstorming and idea phase of the project.  Here's my ideas:

- Automated submission via forms
- Submissions moderated prior to inclusion in the database
- Automatic previw image generation
- Searchable via theme, set title, set number, etc..
- Cross links to Peeron inventories

Questions:
- How to handle unofficial parts

Your ideas, requests, suggestions?

Should it allow for multiple versions of the same set? Seems mean if 2 people
both happen to have done the same set not to be able to credit them both. And
there's the problem of who decides which one is "best" anyway.

Maybe it could be like brickset too, where viewers can add comments. Though they
would have to be moderated too, increasing the workload for moderators.

And what about partial sets? Someone may decide they want to submit (e.g.) the
B-Wing, but not it's stand, or 1 vehicle in a multi vehicle set. Should that be
possible?

And as well as the auto-preview, people should be able to submit their own
renders.

As far as unofficial parts go, I don't see any problem allowing them, unless
it's difficult to make them available to the auto-image generator - it looks
like the most common viewers and editors are all starting to get auto part
download functionality, so as far as the user is concerned, it should all get
handled after they retrieve the file.

ROSCO