 CAD / 14006
  Re: Hangin' around

(...) hmm ... the renderings are in .bmp and the zipper reduces file size from say 3841 KB to 1629 KB. I could convert them to .png while .jpg is out of question because of the artefacts. will take a bit though. w. (18 years ago, 15-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Hangin' around

(...) Hi Willy, I didn't realise you were using BMP format. If you don't already have a copy of (URL) ImageMagick convert> I can't recommend getting it enough. It is the most convenient conversion software ever if you use the command line and if (...) (18 years ago, 15-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Hangin' around

(...) In my experience JPEG versions of computer-generated pictures only really look good when you turn off color sub-sampling during the JPEG compression. Many (most?) programs that allow you to create JPEG images don't support this option. It also (...) (18 years ago, 15-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Hangin' around

(...) which IMO are so detrimental for all pictures containing high frequencies (=sharp edges). PNG is lossless, and doesn't generate anything like that. I know what I would use... JPEG is (maybe?) good for continous color changes, ie photos. (18 years ago, 15-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Hangin' around

(...) Hi Travis, I didn't realise that you could switch off parts of jpeg compression. Very handy to know. I didn't quite spell it out in my previous post but I actually meant for raytraced images rather than general renders. For edge-lined renders (...) (18 years ago, 16-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Hangin' around

(...) I agree (mostly), which is why LDView doesn't support JPEG snapshots, even with color subsampling disabled. Implementing JPEG support would be fairly easy, but I've always felt that it wasn't appropriate. Having said that, I don't personally (...) (18 years ago, 16-Aug-06, to lugnet.cad)