 CAD / 12475
Re: Things that are hard to do with LDraw and building instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 21:09:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Lachmann wrote:
"Kevin L. Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Whenver I build a LEGO model, I always pay attention to things that they can
do that we cannot, or we cannot do easily.  One of the things that is very hard
to do is, change the shape, orientation or location of a part added in previous
steps.

For that I've introduced the BUFFER EXCHANGE command, see developer
specification on my web-page
(http://mlcad.lm-software.com/Specification_V2.0.pdf).
With that you can do exactly that. You might need GHOST commands as well.
Also have a look at the
sample models "Waggon1", "Waggon 2" ... I've provided which makes use of
this features.

Michael

Hi Michael,
  Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, I use buffer exchange *alot*, and it works well
for some cases, but not others.

  In the 8455 model, you start putting a hose in step 8, but you don't have
enough of the model to hook up the other end of the hose until step 25 (i'm just
picking numbers here, but there can be 10-20 steps between first end hookup and
second end hookup).

  I can do a buffer exchange save in step 7, hookup the hose in step 8, and then
before step 25, I have to do a buffer exchange restore (throwing out all the
parts I added in steps 8 through 24 including the hose I want changed), and then
have to readd all the parts from step 8 through 24 without the hose.  This is a
lot of work, expecially if you need to later change things in steps 8 through
24.  You have to make each individual change twice.

  If we could simply remove a group by name, then we could simply throw out the
old hose, and put the new on in with both ends hooked up.  Much more
maintainable modeling, IMHO.

  I'm going to prototype it in LPub and see how it works.

Kevin