 CAD / 12469
Re: Things that are hard to do with LDraw and building instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:30:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:

Whenver I build a LEGO model, I always pay attention to things that they can
do that we cannot, or we cannot do easily.  One of the things that is very hard
to do is, change the shape, orientation or location of a part added in previous
steps.

So far, in the LDraw file format, a usage of a type 1 record (line) is
anonymous, meaning that the only way you can really identify a given  part usage
is by the line number that the part is on.

What if we were able to assign a name to a given part usage in an LDraw file.
This would allow selective deletions of specific parts anytime after the
creation of the named part.  After the deletion, we could instanciate a new part
to take its place. This would work very well for hoses that are rebent or make
their final connection many steps after the first connection.

We would only bother to name specific part usages, and the remainder of the
lines would continue to remain anonymous.

I suppose you could use the mlcad GROUP meta-command to name your parts.
Then perhaps you could invent a SUBSTITUTE meta-command to substitute one
group for another?  I don't know, it could work.

Yes.  I realized after I wrote the above that MLCad GROUPS are a good way of
naming, since they already exist.

Even simply being able to remove all parts in a group from the model would be
sufficient.  Then you could add a new part or parts to replace it.

Enjoy,

Don

Thanks,
Kevin