 CAD / 12467
12466  |  12468
Subject:
Things that are hard to do with LDraw and building instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 15:28:24 GMT

  Whenver I build a LEGO model, I always pay attention to things that they can
do that we cannot, or we cannot do easily.  One of the things that is very hard
to do is, change the shape, orientation or location of a part added in previous
steps.  In working with my son to build the 8455 pneumatic backhoe I gave him
for his birthday, I realized that LEGO does a lot of partially hooked up hoses.

  We can use GHOST to have a partially hooked up hose in a sub-model, and have
it dissapear and be replaced with a different hose in the main mode.

  We have CLEAR to forget everthing that was in the model previously and rebuild
the model with the few parts that we want to change being different.

  We have BUFEXCHG to remember the model at a particular time, add some parts,
and then forget them by doing a BUFEXCHG retreive, but I've only found this
useful across a step or two.

  Are there any other techniques people have figured out?

  So far, in the LDraw file format, a usage of a type 1 record (line) is
anonymous, meaning that the only way you can really identify a given  part usage
is by the line number that the part is on.

  What if we were able to assign a name to a given part usage in an LDraw file.
This would allow selective deletions of specific parts anytime after the
creation of the named part.  After the deletion, we could instanciate a new part
to take its place. This would work very well for hoses that are rebent or make
their final connection many steps after the first connection.

  We would only bother to name specific part usages, and the remainder of the
lines would continue to remain anonymous.

  Feedback?

Kevin