 CAD / 12450
Re: New LSynth features (Att. many pics!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:06:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:

* the fire fighter hose with 194.dat - Minifig Tool Hose Nozzle with¬ Handle
  as one of the end pieces like in:

<<http://library.brickshelf.com/gallery/set/6000/6366-1/6366-1-01.jpg>>

* the string (no idea if this is larry's string) with the corrisponding end¬
  pieces used in:

<<http://www.hccamsterdam.nl/brick/scans/06000/6761/016.jpg>>

Aren't these both instances of "Lego String" just with different
terminators?? Another instance would be the hose reel itself and termination
at the other end into any of a number of different hooks. Those all terminate
with a knotted loop though. That might be a bit harder to suss out.

There are also a large number of parts (basically, anything with a hole in
it) that need to be usable as intermediate points where the string is routed
through)

As far as this being "larry's string"... my string was just a way to mock up
string for my own use, it's not very good. I'm certainly willing to share it
but you won't see me stand up and say it's some awesome piece of work. It
does NOT model the three-strandedness of real string, it just is done with a
twisted hexagon extrusion....

But I agree, if LSynth could deal with this it wouls be awesome! Especally if
it could mimic knots! Maybe doing up a knot as a terminator is the way to
go??? I dunno. Rereading the above, it's a heckofajob!!! but if anyone can do
it, Kevin can. The question I think that is worth asking is, though, is it
worth doing???? Do people model string a lot in MOCs??? I think yes but I'm
biased.

I did a pseudo-knot for my 887 - Tow Truck (check out the .ldr at
http://www.holly-wood.it/building_instructions-en.html) made of a torus and some
primitives, but consider this just a humble attempt, say just to show that even
a simple code could do the work. maybe we could put together a constraint made
out of a squeezed torus, a sphere, cylinder and some disks? BTW the string is
nothing than a pneumatic hose stripped of the outer shell.

w.