 CAD / 12445
Re: New LSynth features (Att. many pics!!!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:23:30 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
   Hi all, I’m looking for feedback on features to add to LSynth.

It is very easy to add new types of synthesis things to LSynth as long as they fit into the two classes so far:

Tubes - provide a set of constraints that are used to create smooth curves using splines.

Anyone got ideas for what else I should provide? It will be easy to make additions in the future, so prompt answer is not required.

hi kevin,

I’d like to see these in lsynth (knowing that these would be very tough once)
  • the fire fighter hose with 194.dat - Minifig Tool Hose Nozzle with
    Handle as one of the end pieces like in:

Hi Willy, Don and I are working on lsynth now. You are right, hoses are restricted to LS00.dat and it is not always the logical choice.

I’ve made both hose and band synthesis descriptions tabular, and also have band constraints as tabular. I will add tabular support for hose constraints.

The next logical step for lsynthcp development is to then move the tables outside the program into an external file. This will allow you to make up you own FIREHOSE synthesis type, and add the fire hose nozel as a hose constraint. You will of course have to RTFM and use notepad to edit the synthesis description file.

Hose supports two specific algorithms: FIXED and STRETCH. FIXED is for things like rubbed hose and rubber hose where the LDraw parts used to synthesize the part are of a fixed size. STRETCH is for things like pneumatic hoses where we can stretch the cylinder as long as we want, for file compression reasons.

Your fire hose will be STRETCH with the diameter of the hose as LEGO manufactures it.

  • the armes made of 3612.dat - Arm Piece Streight with 2 and 3 fingers
    (795.dat - Arm Piece with Disc and 2 Fingers as start piece) and either
    3613.dat Arm piece with Towball Socket or 4220.dat Grab Jaw Holder as end
    piece like (for example) in:

The arm pieces are an interesting idea. You will be able to implement those as a FIXED hose, and add all the parts as constraints.

The hoses in the chest are already done.

  • the string (no idea if this is larry’s string) with the corrisponding end
    pieces used in:

You will be able to add the string ends as constraints using Larry’s string.

Thanks for acknowledging that some of this is hard. This one is *really* hard. There are a few things here that LSynth has no idea about:

1. Gravity 2. string/hose stretch 3. Constraint volumes (e.g. the volume and shape of the 2x4 brick)

This last one is very hard. I’ll have to learn a whole bunch of new stuff if I’m going to get this one implemented.

If someone else out there is up for the challenge I’d be happy to work with them to add this capability to lsynth.

thx, w.

Kevin