 CAD / 12112
Re: Not a good fit?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 22:00:19 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Jaco van der Molen wrote:
Hi all,

Take a look at this!
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/8561.png

As you can see I have been modelling Technic set 856 and came across this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/856a.gif
and this:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sjaacko/Temp/856b.gif

Technic bricks and connectors are exactly fit to the blue pins and ought to
fit exactly on the green one, but it is not a perfect fit. Why is this?

Basic geometry - the arrangements are only approximately matching.

1. The triangle has perpendicular sides 5 plates (2 studs) and 14 plates, giving
a hypotenuse length of 14.87 plates, or slightly less than 6 studs, so as you've
found, the 1x8 beam (end holes 6 studs apart) is slightly too long.

2. The distance between the holes on the frame works out to about 17.6 plates,
or slightly over 7 studs, so the 7 stud (between axle connector centres) axle
connection is slightly short.

LEGO often utilises approximate geometry like this - that's one of the great
things about the bricks, they have enough backlash to make this possible.
Unfortunately LDraw doesn't handle this very well, so you just have to live with
the approximations and adjust so it looks the best you can.

Note that situation 2 can be worked around by moving one (or both) of the axle
connectors to "stretch" the diagonal axle strut.

I have not been able to build the model for real yet, but I asume the
proportions are correct? Why not then in LDraw...

Because LDraw cannot easily model the approximate geometry used in such
situations.

I now understand that the geometry not a perfect fit is, so we cannot expect
LDraw to fit the part correct.

It did occur to me to adjust the connector so that it does fit, but thought the
picture looked good enough.

Hi Jaco, nice render! One thing I would suggest to make it look better is a
fudge - Where the pins don't line up properly, it is best to line them up with
the part that is being viewed. In your case the angles beams instead of the
inside one. That way, people viewing the render think it's perfect :)

I also notice the pin connecting the rack to the bucket tilting mechanism
doesn't quite match either - you can fudge this the same way :)

Hope this helps

ROSCO